We wish not to have to brush our teeth and want to get to the things we want to do, like sleeping. We may be running late and not having time to brush our teeth, which is also common. Regardless of the reason, we’ve all been there, and our oral health begins to suffer, thus resulting in painful situations like dealing with cavities. Here at Gray Dental Group in Edmond, Oklahoma, we get that life can get busy, so we offer procedures like dental sealants to help prevent decay in cavities! Although we strongly encourage regular brushing and flossing, dental sealants can help you prevent decay, making it one of the most effective dental procedures! So, what are dental sealants, how do they work, and are they worth it?
Let’s explore all the things you need to know about dental sealants!
What are Dental Sealants?
So, by name, dental sealants seal something up, but what exactly do they seal up? The first thing to know is that dental sealants are a thin, protective coating. The part they seal up is through being applied to the chewing surfaces of your molars and premolars, the teeth at the back of your mouth. Dental sealants help to prevent bacteria and food particles from getting into the grooves and pits on the teeth, which could lead to cavities. Dental sealants are usually made of resin material and can last up to 10 years, making them an excellent investment for your oral health!
Who Needs Dental Sealants?
We encourage everyone of any age to get dental sealants. However, what are the specifics on who needs dental sealants?
- Children and Teenagers: Dental sealants are ideal for children and teenagers because they tend to be at higher risk of developing cavities in their permanent molars and premolars.
- Adults: Cavity-prone adults can also benefit from dental sealants. Dr. Gray can determine if you are a good candidate for dental sealants based on your dental history and oral health at your next dental exam! Schedule an appointment today and see if dental sealants are suitable for you.
The Process of Getting Dental Sealants
When it comes to the process of getting dental sealants, it is fortunately non-invasive. This means that it is pain-free and it is also a quick process!
- Cleaning: Dr. Philip M. Gray will begin by thoroughly cleaning and drying your teeth.
- Roughen: Dr. Gray will apply an acidic solution to roughen the tooth’s surface, which helps the sealant bond better.
- Application: After that, the sealant is applied to the tooth and allowed to harden with the help of a curing light. Once the sealant has set, it creates a shield over the tooth, which helps prevent decay.
Benefits of Dental Sealants
Dental sealants are an excellent investment for your oral health. They offer several benefits, including:
- Preventing cavities: By creating a barrier between your teeth and food particles, dental sealants prevent cavities.
- Easy to maintain: Dental sealants are easy to clean and maintain. You can continue with your brushing and flossing routine as usual.
- Cost-effective: Dental sealants are affordable to prevent cavities and avoid expensive dental procedures.
Dental Sealants in Edmond, OK
Dental sealants are an excellent investment for your oral health. They are a preventive measure to help you avoid tooth decay and cavities. Getting a dental sealant is painless and easy, making it an ideal procedure for anyone, including children and teenagers. Dental sealants will provide long-lasting protection, allowing you to maintain your beautiful smile for years. So, if you cannot keep up with your oral hygiene and want to work on preventing cavities and any further dental issues, look no further than Dr. Gray and their dental team here at Gray Dental Group for all your dental care. Remember, your oral hygiene is vitally important, and we can ensure your oral health is taken care of through preventive measures!